Tuesday, July 6, 2010

What a Scare!

This morning started out normal, but turned out to be the scariest morning of my life! I had finished getting ready for my bible study, so I went to wake Christian up. He sat up, and something was different. I picked him up and he just layed his head on my shoulder snuggling with me. I thought to myself how much I love when he is like this. When Christian looked at me, I noticed that he was very pail. His face had no color, neither did his lips. My heart started to race! All he wanted to do is lay his head on me and try to go back to sleep. Well, anyone who has met Christian will tell you that is not him! He would look at me and blink really slow, just being real lethargic. I made him a bottle, and he wanted nothing to do with it. Ok, now I knew something was wrong, my kid will take a bottle any time of the day! 

I called Christian's Dr, and let them know his symptoms. The nurse told me that with him being pail, the lack of color in his lips and him being lethargic, I needed to take him to the emergency room. I freaked out!! I have NEVER been to the ER for anything (other than visiting a friend once) and now I was suppose to take my baby there?! Panic immediately came over me as I rushed to find a t shirt and my shoes. This was really happening! I am taking my beautiful, innocent, helpless baby boy to the emergency room, and have no idea what is wrong with him. 

On the way to the ER, I called Brandon to let him know what was going on. He tried to calm me down as he assured me everything would be fine and that he would be there as quick as he could. After I got off the phone with Brandon, I called my mom. She could hear the panic in my voice as I told her we were on the way to the hospital. She asked me which hospital we were going to and told me she would meet us there as she hung up on me. Upon arrival, Christian started to get some color back in his face. The thought started to run through my mind, "Is he ok? Should I still take him in?" I knew that I would rather go in and find out that there is nothing wrong, then to go back home and find out there is. So in we went. 

By the time the doctors got in to see him (which was only like 15 minutes), he was almost back to his normal self. Talking, smiling and trying to take every wire off that they had him hooked to. They all said that he was fine, and maybe he just had low blood sugar. After hearing that, it makes sense. My mom and I are both hypoglycemic, so I'm sure he could have it too. Having low blood sugar is nothing serious, we just have to make sure we eat regularly. I was so relieved to find out that there was nothing wrong with my boy. I don't know what I would do if something happened to him....he is my world! 

We left the hospital, said bye to my mom, and Brandon came home with us. I fed Christian his favorite breakfast, Eggo's with Uncle Fred's homemade syrup, and he has been fine the rest of the day. As for me, I have been a mess. When I put Christian down for his nap, I checked on him about 5 times while he was sleeping. But, I talked to his pediatrician, and we will be doing a blood test later this month to check his sugar levels. I'm so grateful to have a healthy son, and I thank God for that every day.  

Many Blessings, 
Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment